Killdeer in Heather Farm Park--Walnut Creek

rosita94598

It is mostly quiet in Heather Farm Park these days, though the Western Bluebirds are still feeding young in a bird house near the Garden Center parking lot. This morning I found a total of 5 Killdeers in the park. One is sitting on 4 eggs near a softball field parking lot, two were just west of the dog park and next to the Ygnacio Canal inside the fenced area for washing city trucks and two more were on the large flat gravel area behind the the maintenance yard. I'll be watching these last two, there was a nest here last year.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek