Topics

Inspiration Point, Tilden Regional Park, this morning

tracy_farrington

Arrived about 7:30am, a little later than I would have liked, and headed down the EBMUD
Inspiration Trail with Beth Branthaver, both of us minding the 6ft. rule. Sky was quite clear, it was
soon warming but a slight breeze kept conditions mild.

Birdsong was abundant from the beginning. A short distance in we began hearing an Olive-sided Flycatcher
a Cassin's Vireo, several Orange-crowned Warblers, Spotted Towhees, Bewick's Wrens, Wilson's Warblers, and the
Red-breasted Nuthatch who served as something of a leitmotif throughout our entire walk.

One of my targets, this morning, was Lazuli Bunting. I was not disappointed. ~1/4 mile down the trail,
at a juncture where it turns a hairpin to the right, and down to the right in a little draw, we found
at least four singing males and two females. There were quite a number of short flights, it seemed,
by all of the individual birds, as they shifted about in an area no larger than a quarter acre--landing, singing;
taking off, landing, singing, and so on.

Another target bird, MacGillivray's Warbler, was found a bit further on. We were treated to
another songster not shy about perching atop various shrubs, permitting great looks.

Stay well, folks, and bird carefully as often as you are able.

Tracy Farrington
Walnut Creek