Inspiration and Nimitz Trails, Tilden Regional Park

tracy_farrington

This morning, around 6:30, I paid a visit to a couple favored locations at Inspiration Point,
the EBMUD Inspiration Trail (permit required), and the Nimitz Trail. Conditions were clear, breezy
and cool. Other trail users were few in number.

I'd barely stepped out of my car at the edge of the parking lot when a Lazuli Bunting began
singing in some shrubbery but a few feet away. "Nice way to start", I said to no one in particular.
There was an abundance of bird song, mostly at a distance. Heading down the Inspiration, I
promptly heard an Olive-sided Flycatcher but failed to see it. Spotted Towhees were "cat-calling"
every hundred feet, or so it seemed. Several Wrentits were heard in the distance. Before too long a
Macgillivray's Warbler popped up and started singing, competing with two nearby Orange-crowned Warblers.
Before getting to the end and hopping the gate to return on the Nimitz, two more brightly singing Lazuli
Buntings were seen.

Things were somewhat slow along the Nimitz but I did find another Macgillivray's, and two Northern Flickers
I left Inspiration Point and headed for the Orinda Connector Trail, another EBMUD property. Report to follow
with next post.

Good birding, folks.

Tracy Farrington'
Walnut Creek