Topics

Hermit Warbler, Wildcat Canyon

Alan Krakauer

I got out for a short walk today around mid-day in Wildcat Canyon. Best bird was a male Hermit Warbler along Wildcat Creek Trail about halfway between the intersections with Belgum Trail and Bonita Trail. I've seen then a handful of times in fall migration here but this was my first time getting a spring bird. It was with a couple of Townsend's Warblers and an Orange-crowned.  Other migrants included a Warbling Vireo, singing Black-headed Grosbeaks, multiple Ash-throated Flycatchers, and a couple of Hooded Orioles.

I didn't make it up to the top of the ridge but another birder I met (Sonya) said there was good activity up there including an Olive-sided Flycatcher and good looks at Lazuli Bunting.

Stay healthy and birdy,

Alan Krakauer,
Richmond CA