Topics

Help with ID - Merlin App insists on Vermilion Flycatcher

ireddy@...

Hello Everyone,
I would need help identifying a small flycatcher I saw this afternoon in Pleasanton. It was first in a tree with dozens of yellow-rumped warblers, a Downy woodpecker, and an Anna Hummingbird. Further out in a field, two Say's Phoebes were catching insects. This little bird flew and fortunately landed on a fence where I could approach to take photos. When I got too close he flew on a different tree and then I lost sight of it. I had never seen a bird like that before. I have listed it under flycatcher sp. (Tyrannidae sp.) in my ebird listing and provided lots of photos. It was a tiny bird, with some yellow under the belly (which is hard to see on the photos). I looked at lots of photos of Vermilion Flycatchers and it does look like one but it could be something different that I am not familiar with. Thank you for your help,
Isabelle
https://ebird.org/checklist/S75274823

Alexander Henry

3rd County Record Vermillion Flycatcher?

--
Alex Henry

tracy_farrington

Looks like a female Vermilion Flycatcher.
Tracy Farrington
Walnut Creek

On Oct 23, 2020, at 9:43 PM, Alexander Henry <awhenry@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Tracy, Alex and everyone else for your help with this ID.I will up date my ebird listing for now.
Happy birding this weekend!
Isabelle