Heather Farm Walnut Creek July 5

rosita94598

Having been away just over 2 weeks, I was prepared for a very quiet morning in the park; this is the normal summer doldrums birding time.  It was quiet, but I also had some interesting observations.

While on the gravel boat ramp for the large, mostly natural pond, I heard a loud sound I could not immediately place.  Then I realized it was a Great Yellowlegs.  I do not know where it was or to where it flew, despite checking several locations where it might have been along the edge.

For the first time in years, I saw a baby Pied-billed Grebe, complete with head stripes.  It was swimming near an adult out in the middle of the pond.

Also present were a Kingfisher, which caught a small something, a Green Heron, a single Black-crowned Night-Heron and a Common Gallinule.

Several swallows were flying over the pond, Barn, Violet-green and I think a Rough-winged Swallow.

A Red-shouldered Hawk was heard several times, one Nuttall's Woodpecker called and I heard White-breasted Nuthatch in maybe three locations.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek