Heather Farm Park Walnut Creek Friday Jan. 21

rosita94598

Made a slow trip around the ponds with Walt D this morning, though we started at the north ball field.  Despite the mowing by a larger machine, the Short-billed Gulls were not bothered, nor were the Canada Geese.  The gulls were at least 60 in number and the geese included 2 White-fronted Geese.

Plenty of sparrows around the large, mostly natural pond, which is pretty low these days.  For us it was a 5-sparrow day, White-crowned, Gold-crowned, Song, Fox (2) and Lincoln's Sparrow.  We also had a female Ore. Junco.

The biggest surprise was to hear and then see an Acorn Woodpecker.  One arrived several months ago and mostly hangs out near the equestrian rings, sometimes closer to the pond, and once in a while near the gate to the private Seven Hills School.  Today it was just across the dry Ygnacio Canal next to the big pond. It made it's little yucka-yucka call, then flew to a tree slightly farther away.  I had not seen it all year.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek