Topics

Heather Farm Park, Walnut Creek, 9/30/2020

tracy_farrington

The certainty of morning heat prompted me to visit Heather Farm Park soon after the
sky became light enough. A cool breeze was helpful.

I was treated to FOS waterfowl on the natural pond. Ruddy Duck (7), Northern Shoveler (2),
Common Galinule (1), Pied-billed Grebe (1), and Common Merganser (1, female). The
merganser is seldom seen at Heather Farm, and the Rudy Ducks are the first I've
seen there in at least six years.

In the oaks along the west side of the pond, Yellow Warblers are still present, and abundant (12).
In addition, I found Black-throated Gray Warblers (2), and Yellow-rumped Warblers (~12), which
should increase in number, and remain with us until around mid-April.

Other birds include Red-breasted Sapsucker (1), Ruby-crowned Kinglet (3), Northern Flicker (2, I think),
and Green Herons (4).

Enjoy the Fall season.

Good birding,
Tracy Farrington