Topics

Heather Farm Park, Walnut Creek

tracy_farrington

For the past several days swallows have been particularly abundant over and around
the natural pond at Heather Farm Park. This morning was no exception. I would reckon the
number to have exceed 100 birds, without fear of exaggeration. Most were Northern Rough-winged and
Violet Green Swallows. There were a few Barn Swallows and Tree Swallows in the mix.

Heather Farm is finally catching up with Spring. In the medium oaks on the west side of the pond,
between the canal and equestrian paddock, I found a Cassin's Vireo, Warbling Vireo, Black-throated Gray
Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, two bright Yellow-rumped (both Audubon), and a Common
Yellow-throat. On the east side, in willows near the viewing platform, there was a very bright ad well streaked
Yellow Warbler. I that same vicinity there was a Lincoln's Sparrow, and a Fox Sparrow

A great deal of Lesser Goldfinch twitter topped off my visit.

Good birding, good health,
Tracy Farrington
Walnut Creek