Topics

Heather Farm Park Walnut Creek Friday morning

rosita94598

I am still trying to warm my hands, it was a chilly morning.  That may be why I missed a few birds which have been present the last week.  That, and I went a little earlier than usual.

The Merlin was perched in the conifer west of the dog park before 8 AM.  It was not there after I made my ride around the park.

I have not seen any of the 4 ducklings present early in the week, nor did I see the goslings which seemed to go from four, to three to two.  There were still at least 30 Ring-necked Ducks and the female Common Goldeneye.

Today was a 4-swallow day--Barn, Rough-winged, Violet-green and two Cliff Swallows at the concrete channel of Walnut Creek, where the Contra Costa Canal trail crosses it.

But it was probably too cold to see the Western Bluebirds north of the equestrian parking lot, and I failed to find the Flickers I have seen here.  In fact, I did not have any woodpeckers this morning, though I did make a fairly quick circuit.  At least there were two displaying Tom Turkeys on the Hale property just before the entrance to the private Seven Hills School.  These two guys were just standing with their tails fanned, not even facing each other.

No Tropical Kingbird for me again today, like I said, it is pretty cold out there.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek

Paul Schorr

Hugh,

We had planned to go for a birding walk today, but after breakfast my stomach went south.  After I felt better, it was still cool and very windy so we decided not to go.  Instead we finished watching “Ladies in Lavender,” a movie that we started last night.  It was very good and we recommend it if you have not seen it.

It seems that many of our yard birds have departed, although I did go back to the cotoneaster shrubs to see if a hawk was hiding there.  Sure enough, when I got close it flew off.  Often the scenario when the birds are absent.  We will miss the cheery songs of the WCSP and the beautiful male American Goldfinches.  The berries are gone from the shrubs, so the Cedar Waxwings probably won’t be returning.  Two days ago we had a male Quail on our fence and it repeatedly called so loudly, like it expected others to be close by.   Wish that we had them as regular yard birds.

Paul

On Mar 27, 2020, at 9:10 AM, rosita94598 via Groups.Io <rosita94598@...> wrote:

[...]

Sorry folks, this message was supposed to be sent privately.  This issue needs to be addressed because in the past it was not a problem.

Paul Schorr