Topics

Heather Farm Park Tuesday

rosita94598

Several highlights today, but the best was a Spotted Sandpiper seen on the tip of the island closest to the Big Oak. This is the third report of this species this spring/summer, I think.

Two Ravens were again present in the park, though they were not picking through the ball field bathroom dumpster like they were yesterday. Today they were perched atop the conifer at the entrance to the truck-wash place. It is the Merlin tree.

A Bushtit adult went into the nest while I was present, I thought they would be long gone by now. It is easy to lose track of time.

I heard White-breasted Nuthatch and Nuttall's Woodpecker sounds, but never saw them.

Two Scrub Jays were at the corner of the equestrian parking lot again, like they were yesterday. A Red-tailed Hawk was on the pole in the middle of the Hale Property, facing east. It is very pale on the front.

Three adult Killdeers and two chicks were on the grass out from the snack bar area at the north ball field. That was when I first arrived. They were gone when I checked later.

A Western Bluebird male was on top of the gnarly oak the first time around, too. Oddly, I did not see or hear the Mockingbird today.

Another miss is the Red-winged Blackbirds. They may have finished their time in the park until fall/winter. I do not recall hearing them yesterday, either.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek