Topics

Heather Farm Park, this morning, 4/19/20

tracy_farrington

Still and peaceful. Those two words perfectly describe Heather Farm Park, this Sunday morning.
I arrived at 6:30am. and shortly thereafter, spotted a Caspian Tern on patrol above the natural pond.
During the last half dozen visits I've been spending a good portion of my time wandering through
the oak/grass patch between the canal and the equestrian paddocks. This morning brought a couple
of surprises. A Hammond's Flycatcher perched nearly motionless in a medium oak permitted me
an extended look. Nearby, a few moments later, I found two Chipping Sparrows. They were soon
gone, however, taking off on an upward trajectory.

Other finds included a Warbling Vireo, Lincoln's Sparrow, Great-tailed Grackle, and (very rare for HF),
two Common Ravens. Hugh Harvey, who was with me at the time, noted them with some surprise.

By the time I left, a little after 9am, I reckon that I had seen ~20 Yellow-rumped Warblers, at least six of
which were Myrtle, all quite brilliant in their fresh alternate plumage.

Good birding; stay well.

Tracy Farrington
Walnut Creek