Topics

Heather Farm park late Dec. 26

rosita94598

On the way home from a late trip to Safeway, I rode my bike around the large, mostly natural pond in Heather Farm Park.  Lots of Red-winged Blackbirds were singing or otherwise making noise in the reeds on both the east and the west side.  They must leave very early in the morning, as we don't see them on our morning circuit.
I kept my eye open for the Tropical Kingbird, and did not see it around the pond.  Deciding to try the Sycamore trees in the parking lot near the north ball fields, I crossed the street at the corner near the dog park.  A small bird flew out of one of the first trees in the fenced lawn north of the pre-school buildings, but by the way it flew it was obviously a Yellow-rumped Warbler.
But even as I was looking up, the Tropical Kingbird landed higher in the same tree.  I wished it a late Merry Christmas and came home.  It was a nice present for the end of the day.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek