Topics

Heather Farm Park and Borges Ranch February 26

rosita94598

A field trip by Mt Diablo Audubon to these two parks in Walnut Creek produced a total of 48 species for the 14 participants.  Our walk around the large, mostly natural pond in Heather Farm produced many of the expected species, including 65 Ring-necked Ducks, a female Common Goldeneye, a Red-shouldered Hawk, both Nuttall's and Downy Woodpeckers, White-breasted Nuthatches, and a Lincoln's Sparrow.

A hike up the hill in the Walnut Creek Open Space and past the Bob Wisecarver Quail Habitat added to our sightings.  We did see some Quails in the habitat, along with Western Bluebirds, Red-tailed Hawks, Ravens, and a beautiful Common Meadowlark, a bird brighter than the yellow flowers blooming on the hillside below the fence on which it perched.
Nothing especially rare was found, other than a late spring day before February has passed.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek