Topics

Heather Farm Park, 4/20/20

tracy_farrington

This morning was gray and cool, and not immediately birdy when I
arrived at Heather Farm a little before 7am. As I was about to leave,
an hour later, things changed and I was delivered a most welcome surprise.
Rounding the southeast corner of the natural pond, I found a MacGillivray's
Warbler, first for me in the park. eBird lists only two other sightings, one in
September, 2019, by Ted Robertson; and one earlier, September, 2015, by
Fred Safier.

Shortly, thereafter, I was joined by Hugh Harvey, and together we located
Wilson's Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, many Yellow-rumped Warblers (several
myrtles), a good many Cedar Waxwings, and a Warbling Vireo. In addition, we also
saw one Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

Swallows were also fairly abundant with four species seen: Violet-green, Northern Rough-winged, Barn,
and Tree Swallows.

And it's pretty easy to stick to the "six foot rule" at Heather Farm.

Good birding, stay well.
Tracy Farrington
Walnut Creek