Heather Farm Park, Grasshopper Sparrow

tracy_farrington

Around 9am on the south end of the natural pond, between the community
garden and a couple small oaks, Fred Safier, Hugh Harvey, and I, noticed a
light and somewhat buffy sparrow fly from cover on the ground to one of the small
oaks where it perched and provided excellent looks. A puzzle, at first, and
quite unexpected, of course, but a bit of study as it repositioned itself to
a more favorable light revealed what may be a first for the park, a GRASSHOPPER
SPARROW.

It took a few moments but eventually the orangish supraloral spot became visible,
along with the white eye ring. The medial crown stripe was strong, flanked by a darker,
finely streaked lateral crown. Breast was slightly buffy relative to the lighter throat, the
bill was large, and the head rather flat. The nape was grayish and finely streaked; scapulars
showed some rufus. Tail was short. It did not vocalize but appeared to show interest
when I played a recording.

I hope it sticks around awhile.

Good birding, all.
Tracy Farrington
Walnut Creek

Sharon Jue

Continues, and was able to get photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/W4bbJa7EUmbZvWdN9

Sent from my mobile - please excuse nonstandard typography.

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021, 10:14 AM tracy_farrington via groups.io <tracy_farrington=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

-Sharon Jue
~Berkeley