Topics

Heather Farm late Wednesday Dec. 30

rosita94598

I made a late bike ride to part of Heather Farm, just to check the pond adjacent to the private Seven Hills School.  This afternoon I was very surprised to see 21 Cackling Geese with about 50 Canada Geese.  Most of the Cackling Geese appeared to be of the Aleutian type with a white neck ring.

I did not go around the large, mostly natural pond this afternoon, as there are too many people walking around there this time of day.  But this morning there were still two Fox Sparrows along the west side, along with larger numbers of White-crowned, Gold-crowned and Song Sparrows.  Good numbers of Ring-necked Ducks, Buffleheads, Coots and Double-crested Cormorants, too.

The Cackling Geese may be commuting from Central Sanitary's property in Pacheco.  When we drove there for our Central Contra Costa CBC, Rosita and I counted 32 in one flock at the open north part of the plant.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek