Hayward Shoreline and Don Edwards 5/30

zachary.baer2

After being on the East Coast for 2 weeks I finally got back out this morning to find that most things have left but several new things had taken their place. I spent most of the morning walking around Hayward and then drove quickly stuck my head in at Don Edwards in hopes of phalaropes, which I missed of course. The flycatcher migration was quite impressive. Highlights are below:

Hayward Shoreline-

1 Willow Flycatcher - Calling and then seen from the shrubs near Frank's Dump East

1 White-faced Ibis - Flying around Frank's Dump West and then headed over towards the golf course

3 Olive-sided Flycatchers

4 Western Wood Pewees

5 Boneparte's Gulls - flying around and sitting out in the Hayward Ponds none were in breeding plumage

Don Edwards-

1 Black Skimmer - siting out on one of the dikes as you drive out towards the fishing pier

Good Birding,

Zach Baer
Berkeley, CA