Topics

Hayward Shoreline and Coyote Hills, ALA

Bruce Mast

Yesterday (Saturday, 10/19), after a witless day in San Mateo County, I
stopped in at Hayward Regional Shoreline. Parking at Winton Ave. entrance,
I hiked out to Frank's Dump, arriving around 4:30 pm. Conditions were
pretty spectacular. Evening light glowed and high tide had pushed 1000s of
shorebirds into the pond to roost. Wind was breezy but manageable. Picking
through about 500 Black-bellied Plovers, I located my quest, a luminescent
PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER. More scanning turned up a second Golden-Plover as
well. Also mixed in were 5 RUDDY TURNSTONES and a couple dozen RED KNOTS. A
couple Peregrine Falcons strafed the flocks for a few minutes but left
empty-taloned.

I picked through about a 1000 Marbled Godwits in hopes of a rarity but no
luck on that front. San Mateo coast remains your best bet.

Bird on,

Bruce Mast
Oakland

Bruce Mast

I hit send before I finished the post.

...Today, I tried to follow up on an eBird report from yesterday of a Ruff
at Coyote Hills RP. Photos clearly show a Ruff but I was unable to
reconcile the photos with the reported hotspot. I'm guessing there's a Ruff
out there but there's a lot of habitat to search and I ran out of time. A
bicycle would be helpful for cruising the salt pond dikes. Bird was
reported in the company of Greater Yellowlegs. I found 8 but they were
companionless.

Bird on,

Bruce Mast
Oakland