Topics

Hayward Black Terns and more

Dave Weber

Hi Birders-

I stopped at Hayward RS early this morning. I was able to see six Black Terns over the second pond in Hayward Marsh while I was where the trail is close to the bay. By the time I got to the closest vantage point they had all stopped flying, but I could still see four sitting on one of the islands. They are where Bob Richmond described earlier today. Five or more Least Terns were over the ponds. 120 Red-necked Phalaropes were on the west pond. At Johnson's Landing there were three Black Oystercatchers, two Ruddy Turnstones, a Red Knot, and Black-bellied Plover. Whimbrels were along the trail at several points.

Dave Weber,
Milpitas