Hawk at Kaiser Hospital atrium

Jone Taylor

My son in law just mailed me a picture of a beautiful hawk who is coming daily to the atrium next to the cafeteria and sits on a table. He says animal control has put out mice and a small bird and have a net there but he's not interested. I'm worried about his safety.

Jen Taylor Carlson

Here is a pic

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021, 3:21 PM Jone Taylor <jonetaylor1@...> wrote:
My son in law just mailed me a picture of a beautiful hawk who is coming daily to the atrium next to the cafeteria and sits on a table. He says animal control has put out mice and a small bird and have a net there but he's not interested. I'm worried about his safety.

Aaron Maizlish

Hi Jen,

I’m sorry but EBB does not allow for photo attachments, by popular consensus (to reduce the size of group emails). If you want to share a photo, you need to put it on a photo sharing site such as Flickr or eBird and then provide a link to it. Thanks for understanding,

Aaron - moderator

On Jun 18, 2021, at 3:27 PM, Jen Taylor Carlson <jentaylorcarlson@...> wrote:

Here is a pic

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021, 3:21 PM Jone Taylor <jonetaylor1@...> wrote:
My son in law just mailed me a picture of a beautiful hawk who is coming daily to the atrium next to the cafeteria and sits on a table. He says animal control has put out mice and a small bird and have a net there but he's not interested. I'm worried about his safety.

Megan Jankowski

Bay Raptor Rescue (https://www.bayraptorrescue.org/) is one such org that rescues hawks trapped in buildings. Sounds like someone, maybe them, is already on the case. If it's a bird that has eaten recently, it might take some time for it to go for the bait.

Megan Jankowski
Oakland

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 3:21 PM Jone Taylor <jonetaylor1@...> wrote:
My son in law just mailed me a picture of a beautiful hawk who is coming daily to the atrium next to the cafeteria and sits on a table. He says animal control has put out mice and a small bird and have a net there but he's not interested. I'm worried about his safety.

Charlie Wells

Can you tell me which Kaiser this is?  There is a pair that likes to hang out on the Southwest corner of the Kaiser on Piedmont and MacArthur that I have been watching for a while.  Why would animal control be trying to capture this one?

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 3:21 PM Jone Taylor <jonetaylor1@...> wrote:
My son in law just mailed me a picture of a beautiful hawk who is coming daily to the atrium next to the cafeteria and sits on a table. He says animal control has put out mice and a small bird and have a net there but he's not interested. I'm worried about his safety.

Cathy Bleier

On behalf of Craig Nikitas, Chief Operator, Bay Raptor Rescue:
“The hawk that was captured at Kaiser Medical Center was taken by us (Bay Raptor Rescue), although an Oakland Animal Services officer was present. That bird is a 2020 hatch, and is almost certainly not part of the territorial pair familiar to many folks in the area. The paired birds probably show adult plumage. During the time the 2nd year bird was in the hospital atrium, two observers later reported seeing the pair of adult birds overhead.
The captured bird was in the atrium for several hours. It was unable to generate enough lift to get out of the multi-story atrium. A field exam showed the hawk was not notably underweight nor dehydrated, and it displayed no obvious injuries or plumage deficiencies. Also the crop was not distended, and thus its inability to escape the atrium was not attributable to overeating, so therefore we drove it to WildCare in San Rafael for a diagnosis and treatment. Subsequent radiographs and blood work were both normal. Joint motions were all normal. It’s not obvious yet why it can’t fly properly. The hawk was prescribed pain meds and cage rest, to see how it responds. My hypothesis is that it was attacked by one or both of the two territorial birds to drive it off, and suffered bruising or other soft tissue injury, and went down into the atrium to escape. “
Craig Nikitas, Chief Operator, Bay Raptor Rescue
415/810-5116  www.bayraptorrescue.org