Topics

Hammond's Flycatcher & Golden Eagles

Kathy Robertson

Hi Mike and others:

The HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER was still at Garin on Saturday. I saw it around
2:30 or 3 in the afternoon. It was on the creek side of the trail, just
across from the bench/garbage can/anglers' sign, as previously reported.

In other news, I added a new bird to my yard list at work (Fairmont
Hospital in San Leandro). On Friday afternoon I heard a raptor screaming, and it
didn't sound right for the local Red-tails. I went out to the parking lot
and spotted a soaring GOLDEN EAGLE. It stayed in the area for quite a
while, alternately flying around and landing in a nearby eucalyptus. Most of
the birds in the area were in a panic, except the local breeding pair of
Red-tailed, who were not pleased and were dive-bombing the eagle. After
losing sight of the bird, I went back into my office. A half hour or so later,
I heard the bird again, and this time it had been joined by a second GOEA.
They were both adults. Again, they were alternately flying around the
area and perching, and vocalizing quite a bit (I don't know that I've ever
heard a GOEA vocalize before). Eventually they both flew off to the south,
escorted by the Red-tails.

Good birding,
Kathy Robertson
Hayward, CA

In a message dated 3/28/2010 7:27:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
feinerVogel94551@... writes:

Yesterday, I too checked on the Hammond's Flycatcher at Garin Park with
Dave
Weber and Ken Wilson and saw no Hammond Flycatcher, <SNIP> Did anyone
else try as well?

Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA (Alameda County)