Green-tailed Towhee in Tilden Nature Area

Susan Greef

Good morning,

This morning while birding the Upper Packrat trail with Marilyn Kinch and Chris Carmichael, we saw a Green-tailed Towhee scratching along the side of the path.  This was between the Dirca (Leatherwood) shrub and the bridge.

Diagnostic rufous crown, plain gray breast and yellowish-green back.  Before sighting it, we heard the 'mew' call.  Interestingly, it was lacking its tail.

Susan Greef, Oakland

Bob Brandriff

The tailless Green-tailed Towhee continued in Tilden this morning. It
was at the north end of Lower Packrat Trail fairly close to the
intersection with Upper Packrat trail.
37.911639, -122.269001

Good birding.

Bob Brandriff