Topics

Green Heron in Glen Echo Creek, Oakland, 5/10/19

Kate Hoffman

I've been walking past the mouth of Glen Echo Creek for 5 years on the way to/from work, and I often see snowy egrets or black-crowned night-herons fishing in it. This is the stretch next to the Veterans Building where the creek is channeled (near the busy Harrison/Grand intersection) just before the creek empties into Lake Merritt. This week I spotted a green heron in the open--two days ago at the mouth of the creek and this morning fishing in the creek itself. The closest I've ever seen a green heron to this location is the islands near the Rotary Nature Center--not far as the heron flies, but this stretch of creek is extremely urban (there are homeless tents adjacent to it). Kind of amazing for such a normally cautious species.

Kate Hoffman
Oakland