Topics

Great-tailed Grackle in Heather Farm

rosita94598

There has been a single male Great-tailed Grackle hanging out at Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek for about a week now, maybe more. Fred Safier let me know by email, but I did not see it until this morning. Fred was there and showed me where to look, it was in the conifers in the lawn near the wooden railing of the bog pond.

To make things even, I took him to see the White-throated Sparrow, which he had not been able to find all winter. After throwing a little seed, it shortly joined a number of White-crowned Sparrows which rapidly came out for a treat.

There is still a small puddle in the equestrian parking lot and we several times watched a single Barn Swallow come there to collect mud.

Later, I stopped at the Garden at Heather Farm and found an active Bushtit nest which had been reported to me. An adult brought food, which was my clue where to look.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek