Topics

Golden Plover at Frank's Dump

Aaron Maizlish

EBB Folks,

I’m just getting the word out that ace birders Ethan Monk and Lucas Stephenson have just found a Golden Plover at Frank’s Dump.  The Golden Plover is in with Black-bellied Plovers at the high tide roost.

For those of you not familiar, Frank’s Dump is the name of a pond at the Hayward Regional Shoreline, accessed by a 30 minute walk from the end of Winton Ave., at these coordinates:  37.6521824,-122.1544557

I’m sure they’ll post pictures and species analysis later.

Good birding,

Aaron Maizlish
EBB-Sightings moderator

Dawn Lemoine

Aaron:
Which Golden-Plover?

Thanks!
Dawn

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 3:24 PM Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists@...> wrote:
EBB Folks,

I’m just getting the word out that ace birders Ethan Monk and Lucas Stephenson have just found a Golden Plover at Frank’s Dump.  The Golden Plover is in with Black-bellied Plovers at the high tide roost.

For those of you not familiar, Frank’s Dump is the name of a pond at the Hayward Regional Shoreline, accessed by a 30 minute walk from the end of Winton Ave., at these coordinates:  37.6521824,-122.1544557

I’m sure they’ll post pictures and species analysis later.

Good birding,

Aaron Maizlish
EBB-Sightings moderator

Aaron Maizlish

Dawn,

I don’t think they were certain on the ID yet when I got the text.  Hopefully they have some good photos and can determine the Bird to species tonight.  This was an outing of the California Young Birders, and I’m sure they’re pretty cautious on their ID’s.

Pacific Golden-Plover is a lot more expected, and they have been annual at Franks Dump for a long time - I think one overwintered there and was last reported on eBird in April. American Golden-Plover is a lot rarer, but most of the Bay Area records are from the early fall.  So if it’s going to happen, now is a pretty good time.  Ethan or Lucas can clarify assuming they got good looks and/or photos.

Aaron Maizlish

On Jul 25, 2020, at 6:48 PM, Dawn Lemoine <lemonbirder@...> wrote:

Aaron:
Which Golden-Plover?

Thanks!
Dawn

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 3:24 PM Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists@...> wrote:
EBB Folks,

I’m just getting the word out that ace birders Ethan Monk and Lucas Stephenson have just found a Golden Plover at Frank’s Dump.  The Golden Plover is in with Black-bellied Plovers at the high tide roost.

For those of you not familiar, Frank’s Dump is the name of a pond at the Hayward Regional Shoreline, accessed by a 30 minute walk from the end of Winton Ave., at these coordinates:  37.6521824,-122.1544557

I’m sure they’ll post pictures and species analysis later.

Good birding,

Aaron Maizlish
EBB-Sightings moderator

Ethan Monk

Sorry, yes it was a Pacific. I thought I wrote that in my original text to Aaron but it seems as though I didn’t.

Ethan

On Jul 25, 2020, at 7:11 PM, Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists@...> wrote:

[...]

Patricia Mahoney

7/26, 3:30 PM: Pacific Golden-plover continues at Hayward Shoreline, Frank’s Dump. Just flew and a few birders are hoping it rejoins the Black-bellied Plovers et al.