Topics

Garin RP: Costa's Hummer but no Hammond's

Lori Arthur <loriarthur61@...>

Hi. The Hammond's Flycatcher did not show at Garin today, although I spent a while at both of the park bench locations along the trail. At the first bench, I walked through the swampy forest and found mainly Yellow-rumped Warblers, also a few Pacific-slope Flycatchers, a Bewick's Wren, both towhees, Warbling Vireos, Robins, Annas & Allen's Hummingbirds, Song Sparrows, etc. The best bird I found there was a female Costa's Hummingbird on a willow twig directly across the trail from the bench.

The second bench, where the Hammond's is supposed to be, had many of the same birds as the first. There were more hummers, including an imm male Rufous. Also a hyperactive adult male Wilson's Warbler.

Jordan Pond had Red-winged Blackbirds, but, surprisingly, the Mallards were all in the swampy forest. Around the parking lot were: Black-headed Grosbeak (singing male), Cooper's, Sharp-shinned, and Red-tailed Hawks, and House Wren (very gray - threw me for a loop at first).

-- Noah Arthur, Oakland.