Topics

Friday Oct. 18 Heather Farm Park Walnut Creek

rosita94598

We are still awaiting our winter ducks in the large, mostly natural pond, but the winter passerines appear here to stay.  We have 6 Coots now, two Pied-billed Grebes, and one, sometimes two, Common Gallinules.  A Black-crowned Night-Heron was hiding in the trees next to the pond across from the small footbridge over the Ygnacio Canal.  Two Green Herons chased each other the length of the pond and back for more than 5 minutes.

The continuing Tropical Kingbird was seen the last couple of days--today it was in the reeds across the pond from the wooden railing and to the right.  A Marsh Wren has been hanging out, also in the reeds on the west side of the pond; sometimes it is on the pond side of the walkway, sometimes on the Ygnacio Canal side.
A Red-breasted Nuthatch has been around for a couple of weeks, though it may be more than one bird.  I heard it this morning as I paused at the northwest corner of the pond.  It made three "enk" sounds, though I never saw it nor heard it again.
We have had Cedar Waxwings for more than a week, plenty of Crowned and today two LIncoln's Sparrows (Tracy Farrington).

We often see one or two Red-shouldered Hawks in the trees to the right of the big hill.  Today it was one.  On the power pole supporting wires across the Seven Hills Ranch, a Red-tailed Hawk was seen.  This is near the entrance to the private Seven Hills School past the equestrian parking lot.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek