Frank's Dump has water

Mark Rauzon

Hi Birders,
I biked by Franks' Dump at Hayward Shoreline on Saturday and it was dry crystaline salt; today the tidewaters were flowing and birds were following. Most interesting to me was the number of red knots- > 30. Here is a visual sample of what I saw on the two visits.

https://rauzon.zenfolio.com/p859914566/h322DB735/slideshow#h3d1e1aff

Should only get better with the coming weeks.

Mark Rauzon
Oakland

Ben Pearl

Hi Mark,

You are correct that some water was added to Franks Dump, both on Monday and Tuesday. However, the valve was not left open, as there is still at least one snowy plover nest and several young broods on the pond. I will continue to coordinate closely with EBRPD on this, once there are no longer active nests and young chicks more water can be added to the pond.

Thanks,
Ben