FOS yard Golden crowned sparrow

judisierra

After seeing them on Vollmer Peak a few days ago, they finally arrived here. I heard the "Oh dear me" song this morning. It was across the street while I was washing my car. Close enough.

Judi Sierra
Oakland

Randy Prunty

Yesterday I saw two here in Pinole. They were just across the fence in my neighbor's yard. Also close enough.

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 11:08 AM judisierra via groups.io <judisierra=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
After seeing them on Vollmer Peak a few days ago,  they finally arrived here. I heard the "Oh dear me" song this morning. It was across the street while I was washing my car. Close enough.

Judi Sierra
Oakland

Kay Loughman

We had three Golden-crowns show up at our house on 9/23 - all with immature plumage.  Heard chips, but no songs all week.  But then on 10/2 there was a lot of singing, and (coincidentally?) there were two adult plumaged birds on the deck.  It's well known that this species sings on the wintering ground; but I wonder if the singing - at least in the fall - comes primarily from adult birds returning to the wintering ground?

Kay Loughman
in the hills on the Berkeley/Oakland border

judisierra via groups.io wrote on 10/4/2021 11:08 AM:
After seeing them on Vollmer Peak a few days ago,  they finally arrived here. I heard the "Oh dear me" song this morning. It was across the street while I was washing my car. Close enough.

Judi Sierra
Oakland

Avast logo

Idell Weydemeyer

Gold Crowns (GC)  in EL Sobrante singing on the 26th Sept and White Crowns arrived on the 1st. . If you have seen the Pacific Hort article , a study in santa cruz showed that GC  come back to the SAME   individual  bush and some nearby bushes  they were in the previous winter- amazing- check out the Pacific Hort article.

Idell Weydemeyer

Yesterday I saw two here in Pinole. They were just across the fence in my neighbor's yard. Also close enough.

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 11:08 AM judisierra via groups.io <judisierra=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

After seeing them on Vollmer Peak a few days ago,  they finally arrived here. I heard the "Oh dear me" song this morning. It was across the street while I was washing my car. Close enough.

Judi Sierra
Oakland

Rosemary Johnson

Not surprised by this because I've had the same flock of exactly 6 GCS in my yard for years.

On 10/04/2021 12:08 PM Idell Weydemeyer <iwgarden@...> wrote:

Gold Crowns (GC)  in EL Sobrante singing on the 26th Sept and White Crowns arrived on the 1st. . If you have seen the Pacific Hort article , a study in santa cruz showed that GC  come back to the SAME   individual  bush and some nearby bushes  they were in the previous winter- amazing- check out the Pacific Hort article.

Idell Weydemeyer

Yesterday I saw two here in Pinole. They were just across the fence in my neighbor's yard. Also close enough.

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 11:08 AM judisierra via groups.io <judisierra=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

After seeing them on Vollmer Peak a few days ago,  they finally arrived here. I heard the "Oh dear me" song this morning. It was across the street while I was washing my car. Close enough.

Judi Sierra
Oakland

Phila Rogers

Oh you lucky people!  I now live in Santa Barbara and I haven't heard a GC since I moved here eight years ago.  And I have to go to our Bot. garden in Mission Canyon to see a fox sparrow.  Phila Rogers

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 12:26 PM Rosemary Johnson <compasros@...> wrote:
[...]

However, as the years go on (at least 5 now or more?), I have wondered whether it is exactly the same birds or their descendants.