Final Tally from Richmond CBC

Derek

The eBird Trip Report link below uses new functionality rolled out by eBird just in time for the CBC’s.  It is a very nice way to drill down on the data from our January 2 count day:

https://ebird.org/tripreport/29772

Some highlights from count week:

·       172 species, 5 better than our original projection.

·       Nine of the 172 species seen on count week not count day.

·       Highlight species of count week include Tundra Swan, Rock Wren, Caspian Tern, Heermann’s Gull, Black Scoter, Golden Eagle, Bald Eagle, Saw-whet Owl, Ferruginous Hawk and Short-eared Owl.

·       Amazingly, despite the king tide not one rail was seen on count day.  Other expected (our first count so a little hard to judge) but missed were Pine Siskin, Wood Duck and Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.

·       48,677 birds seen of which 8,172 were not classified down to the species level; for example 4,475 were classified as Great/Lesser Scaup.

·       180 total participants. We had quite a few cancels, possibly due to this being the first count but also to the Covid surge. But still a great turnout nonetheless as we originally set 150 as our goal.

One last thank you to everyone who helped make this event a successful launch.  This was also basically a kick-off of GGAS’s initiative to significantly increase its presence in Richmond and surrounding communities. Look for related announcements in the months ahead and please consider contributing to that effort.

Derek Heins and Karen Noel

Co-compilers