Everybody like sugar!

Jim Chiropolos

Well maybe not everybody! Today walking our cats, I watched the local turkeys visit the neighbors yard and start munching on apples that had fallen off the tree. Not a lot of apples have fallen off the tree and a fallen apple was worth a peck battle between the turkeys to maybe claim the sugar rewards. The yard slopes and many of the pecks for feeding get the apples rolling. The turkeys would chase the apples on ground cover where they don’t roll far, but if the apple hits pavement they would take a couple of steps to follow before watching the apple roll down the driveway.... Quite entertaining and a good example of the opportunistic omnivore diet of the turkeys. I remember when I moved out here in 92 - I think I first saw my turkeys here in big sur in 95 or so, then in Sunol, then on Mt. Tam and now they are common everywhere in the bay area.... In 15 years they exploded in population and colonized the entire bay area and Suburbia. I remember driving to work one day and watched a group of turkeys cross the highway before the maze. I was glad to survive as cars and turkeys were swerving all over the place at highway speeds..... Complete pandemonium!

This morning several pine siskins showed up in the yard, a rare summer bird in the east bay hills. I would be surprised if they stick around as I no longer use the thistle feeder as pine siskins are too susceptible to avian diseases from feeding stations.

Jim Chiropolos
entertained by the yard birds in Orinda, below Vollmer peak