Eurasian (Common) Teal, Richmond Bay Trail

Sheila Dickie

A Eurasian (Common) Teal was seen in the Stege Marsh along the Richmond Bay trail at 1:30 p m. Today, February 10.  The teal was associating with a few Green-winged Teal and a Northern Pintail and seen by me and Inger Coble. The birds flew and we're not refound. They were on the east side of the trail at low tide

The teal had a very distinctive horizontal white stripe and no vertical bar.

Stege Marsh is between the Meeker Slough bridge and the 51st Street path.
Directly behind the marsh are the Richmond Field Station and Zeneca Superfund site.

Also seen two Ridgways Rails. One at the 51st Street Bridge and one slightly to the north on the east side of the trail.

Sheila Dickie
Richmond

Alexander Henry

There was a Common Teal at Albany Mudflats earlier in the winter, which I haven’t seen in a while. I wonder if that could be the same bird?

Be careful though, because there is also a Eurasian-leaning intergrade in the same area! Photographed recently by Sharon J. (Although, that bird is much closer to Eurasian than American, so you could probably get away with calling it Eurasian anyway).

The Eurasian-leaning intergrade:

--
Alex Henry

Sharon Jue

"Getting away with" calling it Eurasian might depend on the reviewer - I was corrected on a very, very similar looking bird at the same location in 2017 (https://ebird.org/checklist/S35673607). This has been a very fun winter for odd ducks.

Any report on the oil spill cleanup progress? I read somewhere that it had been contained and was no longer spreading. I hope that is true!

-Sharon Jue
Berkeley

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 5:59 PM Alexander Henry <awhenry@...> wrote:
[...]

KENNETH ARCHAMBAULT

About 17 years ago, I had a drake -hen pair at Albany mudflats, which I spent a lot of time with to get footage showing the field marks of the female Eurasian (Common) Green-winged Teal. The first couple days, she consorted with American males, but then I noticed her interest in the Eurasian drake, and then finally got her preening, I think the speculum area was the important field mark, if memory serves. Confirming her took more time than most birders would want to spend on just this, but I was interested. Point here is to know the field marks for the hen Eurasians and watch for it. No reason the hens shouldn't be as common as the drakes here, or am I wrong? -Ken Archambault, Birmingham, Alabama