Topics

EBMUD Valle Vista Parking Lot Closed

Kate Hoffman

I know many of you frequent the Valle Vista parking lot in Moraga (which leads to many fine birding habitats along the Kings Loop and other trails). Yesterday I went there to bird and hike, and I found the parking lot locked (bathroom, too). The trails themselves are open, and limited (legal?) parking was available along the road--maybe a dozen spots. I got one and headed out in the rain. Met a few hikers and birders along the way. I heard more birds than I saw, but I did catch a glimpse of a Wood Duck in flight along the creek and saw large flocks of (probably) Cliff Swallows very active over the reservoir and meadows.

More or less birding in place (with a few forays farther afield),
Kate Hoffman
Oakland

Bev

Thank you so much, Kate, for letting us know. This had been a sanctuary with few people (until recently) with many unusual birds sightings and year round Wood Ducks.

Could everyone contact EBMUD and ask why since they had said their trails were open?  Forcing people who need outdoor exercise into the street and dangerous neighborhoods with no way to keep distance is not safe.

I'm chronically ill but drove hours last week to try to find accessible parks. EBRPD is also expecting people to park along dangerous winding roads where they go into the narrow trails in groups, while keeping the parking lots closed.

This is so upsetting....

Bev

-----Original Message-----
To: EBB-Sightings@groups.io
Sent: Sun, Apr 5, 2020 12:49 pm
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] EBMUD Valle Vista Parking Lot Closed

I know many of you frequent the Valle Vista parking lot in Moraga (which leads to many fine birding habitats along the Kings Loop and other trails). Yesterday I went there to bird and hike, and I found the parking lot locked (bathroom, too). The trails themselves are open, and limited (legal?) parking was available along the road--maybe a dozen spots. I got one and headed out in the rain. Met a few hikers and birders along the way. I heard more birds than I saw, but I did catch a glimpse of a Wood Duck in flight along the creek and saw large flocks of (probably) Cliff Swallows very active over the reservoir and meadows.

More or less birding in place (with a few forays farther afield),
Kate Hoffman
Oakland