eBird report of American Dipper at Sunol

Aaron Maizlish

Folks,

I just wanted to pass along an eBird report that I saw this evening: An American Dipper was seen and photographed at Sunol Regional Wilderness, by a birder who isn't on EBB-Sightings. He reports that the bird was seen in Alameda Creek just to the west of the bridge. The photo is definitive. I think there is only one bridge over Alameda Creek, which is just a two minute walk south of the parking area as you start towards Little Yosemite. https://ebird.org/checklist/S79787391

American Dipper is rare in Alameda County. There is one report by a reliable birder at Sunol from 2014. That’s the only eBird record since 2004. If anyone goes to see this bird, I would appreciate a report, since I don’t think I’ll be able to get out there until next week. But hopefully it's overwintering.

Best,

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco, CA

Derek

Thanks Aaron for bringing this up. There are two bridges, the one you mentioned, but also one by the buildings right after go through the pay kiosk. It's possible the person was talking about a third bridge that is actually on Calaveras Road just past its intersection with Welsh Creek Road, but I believe that is not technically in the park. My guess is that it's the one you mentioned as the river is rockier and flowing maybe faster through that stretch versus the one by the buildings.

From what I see in eBird, there was the one at Lake Temescal in 2004 but also one reported in Sunol Regional Park at Little Yosemite Area in 2014.

Derek Heins