Topics

(EBB - Sightings). Help with Sandpiper ID at Lake Cascade

Jim Roethe

Saw an unusual sandpiper foraging at the East end of Lake Cascade this morning. Medium sized and at first I thought it might a Pectoral Sandpiper. Bright mottled back and dull yellowish legs. Medium length bill. Breast showed some Light grayish Spotting but no. Real distinct line between breast and belly. White supercillium not terribly distinct. After 15 minutes it Called and flew to the other side of the lake. Call was not that of a Pectoral. Rather a sharp call nearer that of a Sharp-tail per the Peterson App on my phone. In flight the call was a repeated double sharp call. Not quite as loud. Showed a distinct white rump in flight. While foraging, it swirled around like a Whirly- dervish almost like a Phalarope. Any help would be appreciated.
Jim Roethe

Jim Roethe

Also some head bobbing while standing still.
Jim Roethe

On Sep 10, 2020, at 12:05 PM, Jim Roethe via groups.io <JimRoethe=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Saw an unusual sandpiper foraging at the East end of Lake Cascade this morning. Medium sized and at first I thought it might a Pectoral Sandpiper. Bright mottled back and dull yellowish legs. Medium length bill. Breast showed some Light grayish Spotting but no. Real distinct line between breast and belly. White supercillium not terribly distinct. After 15 minutes it Called and flew to the other side of the lake. Call was not that of a Pectoral. Rather a sharp call nearer that of a Sharp-tail per the Peterson App on my phone. In flight the call was a repeated double sharp call. Not quite as loud. Showed a distinct white rump in flight. While foraging, it swirled around like a Whirly- dervish almost like a Phalarope. Any help would be appreciated.
Jim Roethe

Aaron Maizlish

Hi Jim,

Where is Lake Cascade?

Thanks,

Aaron Maizlish

On Sep 10, 2020, at 12:08 PM, Jim Roethe via groups.io <JimRoethe=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jim Roethe

On Sep 10, 2020, at 12:05 PM, Jim Roethe via groups.io <JimRoethe=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jim Roethe

Ethan Monk

Lake Cascade is a pond in Orinda off San Pablo Dam Rd/Camino Pablo. 

It seems like good habitat for a Solitary Sandpiper.

Ethan

On Sep 10, 2020, at 12:30 PM, Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists@...> wrote:

Hi Jim,

Where is Lake Cascade?

Thanks,

Aaron Maizlish
On Sep 10, 2020, at 12:08 PM, Jim Roethe via groups.io <JimRoethe@...> wrote:

Jim Roethe

On Sep 10, 2020, at 12:05 PM, Jim Roethe via groups.io <JimRoethe@...> wrote:

Saw an unusual sandpiper foraging at the East end of Lake Cascade this morning.  Medium sized and at first I thought it might a Pectoral Sandpiper.  Bright mottled back and dull yellowish legs.  Medium length bill.  Breast showed some Light grayish Spotting but no. Real distinct line between breast and belly.  White supercillium not terribly distinct.  After 15 minutes it Called and flew to the other side of the lake.  Call was not that of a Pectoral.  Rather a sharp call nearer that of a Sharp-tail per the Peterson App on my phone.  In flight the call was a repeated double sharp call.  Not quite as loud.  Showed a distinct white rump in flight. While foraging, it swirled around like a Whirly- dervish almost like a Phalarope.  Any help would be appreciated.
Jim Roethe

Derek

I’m at Lake Cascade in Orinda and there are no shorebirds currently. Looks like there might be a Cascade Lake in Pleasanton off Oakland Avenue

Derek Heins

On Sep 10, 2020, at 12:33 PM, Ethan Monk <z.querula@...> wrote:

Lake Cascade is a pond in Orinda off San Pablo Dam Rd/Camino Pablo. 

It seems like good habitat for a Solitary Sandpiper.

Ethan

On Sep 10, 2020, at 12:30 PM, Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists@...> wrote:

Hi Jim,

Where is Lake Cascade?

Thanks,

Aaron Maizlish
On Sep 10, 2020, at 12:08 PM, Jim Roethe via groups.io <JimRoethe@...> wrote:

Jim Roethe

On Sep 10, 2020, at 12:05 PM, Jim Roethe via groups.io <JimRoethe@...> wrote:

Saw an unusual sandpiper foraging at the East end of Lake Cascade this morning.  Medium sized and at first I thought it might a Pectoral Sandpiper.  Bright mottled back and dull yellowish legs.  Medium length bill.  Breast showed some Light grayish Spotting but no. Real distinct line between breast and belly.  White supercillium not terribly distinct.  After 15 minutes it Called and flew to the other side of the lake.  Call was not that of a Pectoral.  Rather a sharp call nearer that of a Sharp-tail per the Peterson App on my phone.  In flight the call was a repeated double sharp call.  Not quite as loud.  Showed a distinct white rump in flight. While foraging, it swirled around like a Whirly- dervish almost like a Phalarope.  Any help would be appreciated.
Jim Roethe