Topics

[EBB Sightings] Chestnut-backed Chickadee nesting

rfs_berkeley

This is really interesting and would appear to be extremely early.

In Birds of North America, Chestnut-backed Chickadee nesting dates are
reported as follows:

"Egg dates for California March 12 - June 7. Height of season April 7 -
June 1."

" In California at Tilden Park, Contra Costa Co., mean date of first egg
for P.r.barlowi over a 22 year period (n=430) March 25 +- 9 days."

-Rusty Scalf

_____

To: sightings@...
Subject: [EBB Sightings] Chestnut-backed Chickadee nesting

I installed a nestcam box on Jan 1 under the eaves of my house.
Chestnut-backed Chickadees started checking it out on Jan 13, and nest
construction started Feb 25. I put wood chips in the box, which were
quickly cleaned out on 2/25, then redwood bark shreds were brought in, and a
circular shape was constructed. I first saw 2 birds at once in the box on
Feb 27. It was slow going until today, March 8, with construction full
speed ahead. With the camera I am watching and hearing them on TV. Other
materials include feathers and dog hair. I will post progress.

Also, on my bike ride today Orange-crowned Warblers were singing along
Redwood Road, south of Pinehurst Road, the first ones I've heard this
Spring. I have not yet detected an Allen's Hummingbird in my yard. They
are usually here in late January or early February. There was a Rufous
Hummingbird yesterday at my feeder. Where's the Allen's?

There was a Yellow-rumped Warbler in my yard on Jan 2, the first in my yard,
I've been here in the Oakland hills for 19 years. That was yard species
#92.

Johan Langewis

Oakland, near Skyline and Shepherd Canyon

Phila Rogers <philajane6@...>

Maybe it's one of those years as this morning I caught sight of a chickadee exiting one of my nesting boxes.  Also a cal towhee was doing the 'come hither' display on my deck.

So in spite of the thermometer reading 37 degrees this morning, spring has started its head-long rush.

Phila Rogers

#92.

Johan Langewis

Oakland, near Skyline and Shepherd Canyon

judisierra

I had a Chickadee inspecting my box a month ago. Although calling away, it couldn't convince it's perching nearby partner to come in and take a look.
A Titmouse went in and out several times yesterday, spending several minutes in each time. Then it started perching and singing in several nearby spots but couldn't attract a girlfriend.
Judi Sierra- Oakland

#92.

Johan Langewis

Oakland, near Skyline and Shepherd Canyon

EBB_Sightings-fullfeatured@...

Jaan Lepson <lepson@...>

While I haven't yet seen our chickadees in the nest box, the male (I
presume) has been battering his reflection in our windows for over a week,
so the hormones are flowing. I keep chasing him off, but to no avail. I
also have to put plastic bags over my truck's mirrors to ward off the
California Towhee, who sometimes hassles the bumper as well.

Jaan Lepson
Livermore

#92.

Johan Langewis

Oakland, near Skyline and Shepherd Canyon

EBB_Sightings-fullfeatured@...

Jaan Lepson

University of California
Space Sciences Laboratory