Eastern Phoebe, Clifton Court Forebay

Jim Chiropolos

Clifton Court Forebay has become one of my favorite areas to bike and bird. Today I biked around the forebay and back.

On my return, I was watching an orange-crowned warbler in the willows by the eucalyptus - marina area when I saw a greyish phoebe wagging its tail. Instantly thought eastern phoebe - 5 minutes later it popped out again -greyish green phoebe with blackish cap. A little skulking and stayed mid height to 2/3 up in the willows. Eastern Phoebe!

For the location - Look in google maps for the old river, Widdows island and Italian slough location. Seen from gravel surfaced levee next to channel - not from paved levee next to forebay. The bird was between the gravel levee and paved levee - about 20 feet from the gravel surfaced levee.Good luck! The location is about 1 to 1and 1/2 miles from parking area which all the fisherman use. A bike will help get you there quicker.

Jim Chiropolos, Orinda

Srikant Char

Cool first-for-Clifton find Jim and thanks for the headsup!
I followed up on your alert and got him flycatching off the wires at about the same location>>37.857397, -121.578665
More activity off waters for sure!
my checklist
https://ebird.org/checklist/S79468114

Stephen T Bird

Still there, right at sunset, at Jim’s location if I understood correctly. After being distracted by several BLPH calls, spotted EAPH fly catching midway up willows below Euc across Old River from gravel levee at Srikants coordinates 37.857397, -121.578665. Description on eBird.

Also saw a myrtle yellow-rumped warbler among the tremendous number out there. Lovely location. Worth more exploration, no matter the moderate wind but not oppressive winds.

Any reason why blue-gray gnatcatcher is showing up “rare”? At same coordinates in scrub on S side of gravel levee.

-Stephen