Topics

east of Mt. Diablo: Willow Flycatcher, Phainopepla, Bullock's Oriole

Fred Werner

On the east side of Mt. Diablo on Saturday afternoon, we got great looks at a singing Willow Flycatcher.  Photos audio and links to video are all on the eBird list:

Also, good (if fleeting) looks at a Phainopepla and an adult pair of Bullock's Orioles.

This was on Morgan Territory Rd., ~ .1 mile south of its north end at Marsh Creek Rd., just south of the agricultural settling pond west of the road.  There's a small parking area and an entrance to a network of trails w.  I don't know if there's a name for this area, there's no signage except for individual trail markers (some marked literally "Trail <->"). It's not an eBird hotspot, but I was directed there by someone who'd seen Phainopeplas there before so maybe it should be?

These birds were in the oaks uphill less than 1/4 mile due west from the road.

Apologies for the late posting, took me this long to get my photos/video/audio uploaded.

Happy hot summer birding everyone!

- Fred

Alan Bade

Hi Fred- we bird (and hike/look at flowers) there as well. The east side of Mt Diablo burned there a while back and had very interesting fire follower flowers. If you head due west up the utility road, it can get steep and in chaparral. The riparian oak section due south, and then up the road towards the Diablo Bowman facility (private property) is also good. There's single track trail that follows the creek, but that might be pretty "ticky" by now.
I've called my checklist location Mt Diablo SP-Perkins Canyon and clicked "suggest as hotspot" when I entered my list. We had at least 6 Phainopeplas there on April 29th. Good to hear that some are still nearby.We saw them in the oaks here; 37.8994298,-121.8734357 . Males and females. Ebird needed comments with that many counted.  https://ebird.org/checklist/S68048424

Good birding to all, even if hot!

Alan Bade
Pleasant Hill

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 4:16 PM Fred Werner <sustainablefred@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Is there a way to select someone else's personal spot as an eBird location (and to second their recommendation of a hotspot?)  Alan's "Perkins Canyon" seems to be the same area we birded on Saturday, and it seems like a fantastic spot.

The "Morgan Territory Road" hotspot (Thanks for mentioning it Ethan!), with a map point ~3.5 miles further south, does seem more appropriate just for birds seen from the road, as you suggested.  A year ago, on our way home from Morgan Territory, we paused on Morgan Territory Rd. (not far from that hotspot's map point no less!) and picked up a few additional species in a pond and trees visible from the roadside.  So I've now edited that list to set its location as the "Morgan Territory Rd." hotspot.

Earlier on Saturday, we parked in the "Three Springs Staging Area" on Marsh Creek Rd. (which I think is the spot you you were referring to, Lois).  I think the eBird hotspot "Northeast of Mt. Olympia" refers to this area: the paved road & trails leading uphill (south) from the Three Springs trailhead with signs pointing to Mt. Olympia.  The same friend who had recommended the Perkins Canyon parking spot on Morgan Territory Rd. also told us about this place.  She'd seen/heard dozens of Lazuli Buntings there a few weeks earlier. There weren't any (visible or audible) when we went this Saturday (before continuing to Perkins Canyon / Morgan Territory Rd.).  Highlights here were Blue-gray Gnatchatchers, Ash-throated Flycatchers, and lots of flowers (including Mariposa Lilies) and butterflies.  It was beautiful!  Here's the first of 2 eBird lists from that hike, with a link to the second:

Cheers!

- Fred