Early Rufous Hummingbird Orinda!

Jim Chiropolos

A male orange backed rufous hummingbird has visited our feeders several times today. Rufous Hummingbirds are relatively common at the house in the spring, but very uncommon in the summer/fall with less than five birds seen last summer/fall (2021) - first appearance July 2 - no Rufous seen at all in the summer/fall of 2020 and 2019 and in 2018, only several seen beginning July 6.

I wonder if this means we are going to see more out of normal sightings which this certainly is. Our hummingbird feeder activity is already ramping up this year with 5 or more Annas almost constantly in sight from our deck. This also seems very early.....

Be on the look out....

Jim Chiropolos
Orinda - below Vollmer peak