Topics

Coyote Hills - Sunday PM

Cal Walters

Sorry for the late post, but managed to track down the Blue-Gray
Gnatcatchers on Sunday ­ starting at about 2:30 - finally found them at
4:00. I had been directed to the area at the end of the quarry parking lot
and towards the small marsh on the right of the trail.

After an hour, I decided to follow some lovely Northern Flickers on the hill
side above the small picnic gazebos. After following them up and over the
hill for some photos, I was making my way back down when I finally heard the
calls of the gnatcatchers. They were in the company of the sparrows -
including the partially leucistic one.

For those searching them out I found them at lot level between the first and
second gazebos ­ where the brush on the hill reaches the furthest towards
the parking lot.

Good Birding.

Cal Walters
calw@...

scfloyd2000

The blue-gray gnatcatchers move around!  This morning they were out in the open in the bushes at the far end of the Quarry lot, at the beginning of the trail that leads up the hill.  Best way to find them is to listen for them vocalizing as they move along. I also saw my first orange-crowned warbler of the spring this morning, in the oak tree over the tule hut next to the Visitor Center.

Stephanie Floyd
Fremont