Coyote Hills RP (5/4)

Ken Schneider

After dropping my daughter off for a class field trip early this morning, I arrived at Coyote Hills RP at the somewhat unholy hour of 0445 and walked along the entrance road past the entry kiosk and into the marshy area. Although I couldn't see them, TREE SWALLOWS were already flying and calling overhead and a silent BARN OWL flew past me at 0525 and headed steadily to the north, apparently retiring for the day. I was a bit surprised to see a hard-working WHITE-TAILED KITE hovering and foraging before sunrise at 0600. A single SEMIPALMATED PLOVER was in the flooded field just north of the entry kiosk, the first time I've seen this plover species here. I did not detect any rails at all this morning and heard no owls either.

Ken Schneider
Redwood City