Topics

Contra Costa Pectoral Sandpiper and Sabine's Gull, other East Bay notes

Dorian Anderson

EBBers,

With wife away, I did an entire day or car birding in Alameda and Contra Costs Counties. This was my first
full and solo day of car birding since moving here 3+ years ago. That explains why I wasn't signed up for the
EBB list - until today. Sorry to be slow getting the word out.

The PECTORAL SANDPIPER was at the West County Wastewater Sewage Ponds. It was on the dry mud in
the pond just inside the locked gate at 1pm. This was my fist visit, so I have no idea if there's access or if
people just bird through the fence like I did.

The SABINE'S GULL was on Brooks Island at 3pm as viewed from the Canal Street viewing platform. It was a
juvenile, and, sadly, disappeared while I was hurrying to make an eBird checklist and get the word out. Might
be worth keeping eyes open if in the vicinity tomorrow.

Otherwise, I had a WANDERING TATTLER on the jetty at 51st Street at 10:30am.

I had single HEERMANN'S GULLS the Berkeley Marina and Sandpiper Spit, the neighborhood just SE of Miller-
Knox Regional Shoreline. Both were new areas for me.

There was a single BRANDT'S CORMORANT at the Berkeley Marina.

Despite much scanning, I was unable to find an Elegant Tern, a miss I'll concede given what else I saw.

Cheers,
Dorian Anderson
San Mateo