Topics

Contra Costa birds Tuesday August 27

rosita94598

We have two continuing Common Gallinules in the large, mostly natural pond in Heather Farm Park, located in the Ygnacio Valley of Walnut Creek.  An adult Pied-billed Grebe was seen again today, and Fred Safier found a male Yellow Warbler.

Closer to noon, I visited McNabney Marsh and Waterbird Pond in Martinez.  The young Black Skimmer is still at McNabney Marsh, along with the many other expected species like White Pelicans, both Egrets, Pied-billed Grebes and Mallards.
Waterbird Pond, over the hill from Waterbird Park, had over 200 Short-billed Dowitchers.  Also seen were Black-necked Stilts, Greater Yellowlegs, Mallards, Green-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler and Gadwall.  The surprise was seeing two Red-necked Phalaropes.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek