Topics

Continuing Waterthrush and then Powell Street

rosita94598

Three of us, and later a fourth, saw the Northern Waterthrush just downstream from the tennis courts on the south side of Albany Creek later this morning.  Don Lewis and Judith Denham were upstream when I first spotted it, but they came and eventually we walked around to the parking lot side of the creek.  From that side we all three saw the N. Waterthrush well as it was starting to work upstream.  As I was leaving, Jerry TIng told me he had heard it.

I exited at Powell Street to check the rip-rap west of the firehouse and it had plenty of birds.  There were a couple hundred Marbled Godwits and Willets, up to 20 Whimbrels, one Black Turnstone, four Least Sandpipers and one Red-necked Phalarope.  One of the Godwits had a slightly deformed bill, being just a little shorter than the others had and it was slightly down-curved at the end.  The colors of the bill were normal.  This was between 11 and 11:30.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek

Jerry Ting

This Northern Waterthrust found by Jack Hayden on 9/24 is much easier to locate because it calls a lot. It also has a non-streaked throat and is much yellower on supercilium and underparts compared with the previous bird.

I have included some photos of the current bird in my eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S74178427

Stay Safe and Happy Birding,
Jerry Ting
Fremont