Clifton Court Forebay Shorebirds

Jerry Britten

I bicycled the levee roads of Clifton Court Forebay today, and discovered that low water has created an expansive shallows/mudflat habitat at the southeast corner (near the intake gates that let water from New River into the forebay), that held a crazy diversity of shorebirds today that one would expect to see at places closer to the coast.  Dowitchers, Greater Yellowlegs, marbled Godwits, a Whimbrel, Least and Western Sandpipers, Avocets etc were some of the birds out on the flats. I saw a small flock of phalaropes in the distance, and reported them as red-necked, but it would be great if someone with a scope would go out to confirm or deny.   This area is about 5.5 miles from the parking lot, so best to bicycle out to see them.  Who knows when they will open the gates and flood these again, so go see now!
Lots of other birds too.  Ebird checklist with some ID photos here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S91754713

Jerry Britten
Morgan Territory