Topics

Cliff Swallows/Wood Ducks on Ourson Trail

Jim Roethe

I hiked the Ourson trail this morning (EBMUD permit required beginning May 1) from the  Bear Creek/Camino Pablo intersection to the base of the Briones dam spillway.  I counted 80 active Cliff Swallow nests at the base of the spillway and another 10 or so nests at the base of the walkway that crosses the spillway.    Cliff Swallows were everywhere.

On the return walk, I thought I saw a large bird leaving one of the Wood Duck Boxes.  I snuck down to the creek and there were a pair of Wood Ducks in the Creek.  I suspect the box is an active breeding site.   I have posted the box number on e-Bird.

Regards,

Jim

Jim Roethe
925-254-2190