Claremont Canyon: Calliope Hummingbird, MacGillivray's and Hermit Warblers

Teale Fristoe

Hello,

Today I couldn't resist spring migration and got out before work for a walk around Claremont Canyon, where I was rewarded with some of my favorite spring migrants.

I first heard a MacGillivray's Warbler along the Upper Fire Trail near mile marker 1.5. I actually believe this species breeds along this trail, as I hear males singing there well into the summer, but I've never seen a nest or juveniles or anything, so I'm not sure.

On my way back to the ridge, I heard an intriguing song and found a male Hermit Warbler in a small mixed flock. This was around 37.869986, -122.235287.

Before I headed back down to Berkeley, I took as much time as I could checking the garden at the end of Panoramic Way. With the sun just coming out, the Pride of Madeira flowers along the road were buzzing with hummingbirds, including many Anna's, a male Allen's, and a male Rufous, in addition to one or two female type Selasphoruses. Just as I was about to head down the trail, I took one last look at one more hummingbird, and was delighted to see a male Calliope!

Later, at the bottom of Stonewall-Panoramic Trail, I thought I may have seen another male Calliope, but sadly I was out of time and wasn't able to confirm.

ebird checklist with identifiable photos of the Hermit Warbler and Calliope Hummingbird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S85657429

Happy spring,
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley