Topics

Claremont Canyon: Calliope Hummingbird, Hermit Warbler, Costa's Hummingbird

Teale Fristoe

Hello,

With all the recent hummingbird excitement at Garin Ave, I set out today to look for Calliope Hummingbirds at my local patch, Claremont Canyon. I was not disappointed!

I quickly found a Calliope Hummingbird around  37.86613,-122.239573. I first heard it displaying before I was finally able to locate it for some decent photos. There may have been another Calliope there chasing it but I never got a good look at it. There were definitely many Anna's and Selasphorus Hummingbirds around.

Later, on the Upper Fire Trail (technically in Strawberry Canyon), I found my first of season Hermit Warbler, a beautiful male associating with the only Townsend's Warbler I saw all day, a female.

The biggest surprise of the day came when I returned to the garden area at the top of Panoramic Way, where I saw a hummingbird with a suspiciously elongated gorget. A Costa's! The bird posed long enough for me to get a few decent shots and seemed to have claimed a little territory around 37.867543, -122.239777 where I was able to relocate it after hiking around a bit more. I also saw a female Calliope and heard a presumed male Calliope Hummingbird displaying in the same area.

ebird checklist with photos: https://ebird.org/checklist/S67372189

A few notes on Claremont Canyon: This is a very popular area for runners, dog walkers (who rarely keep their dogs on leash as required), and college students. Today it was fairly empty, but it can get crowded, especially later in the day when the weather is nice. I always hike up from the Stonewall Drive entrance at the bottom of the hill, which is a great hike but is long and steep. There is some parking near the top where I saw the Costa's but I'm not sure how easy it is to get a spot there.

Happy spring,
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley