Chestnut-sided Warbler, Gyuto Foundation, Richmond

Alan Krakauer

There was a nice mix of migrants at the Gyuto Foundation on Bernhard Ave in Richmond just now (around 10AM). Best bird was a Chestnut-sided Warbler that I found along the forest path ("Path of Enlightenment"). It was downhill just over the chain link fence along the lower trail, working a small oak  towards the far end of the loop. This was between the short connector stairs below the grape arbor and the farthest extent of the loop. For those of you who tried for the Summer Tanager this summer I saw it at basically the same spot.

Second best bird was what I think is a gray-headed orange-crowned warbler. I'm not sure I've ever ID'ed one of these before. This was seen on the Peace Garden trail, working the fence between the monastery and Bernhard Ave.

There was a lot of activity by the grape arbor along the forest trail as well, including multiple Western Tanagers, multiple Yellow Warblers, first of season White-crowned and Golden-crowned sparrows, and a black-headed Grosbeak. There was also a Western Wood Pewee working the area below the grape arbor.

Gyuto is doing some website work so I can't find their posted hours but I believe it is 9AM-7PM. From experience, the driveway gate usually opens by 8:30AM though (enter at the driveway).  https://www.gyutofoundation.org

Photos in the e-bird checklist here.

Good birding,

Alan Krakauer
Richmond, CA

Alan Krakauer

Follow-up. Upon review of the photos I think the pewee was actually a Willow Flycatcher.

-Alan Krakauer